The United States Attorney General Todd Blanche has shared an important update about Nancy Guthrie’s case. His update comes just six months after Nancy, the mother of beloved NBC news anchor Savannah Guthrie, was reported missing.
On the Aug. 16 episode of Meet the Press, he dispelled any rumors that said the FBI will be taking over Nancy’s case. Blanche explained that the workload will primarily be in the hands of local and state investigators and said he is still willing to provide assistance on a federal level.
“We are working as hard as we can with the state and local law enforcement in every area, and that means not only providing assistance with manpower, but any sort of forensic assistance,” he explained.
“And so we’re going to continue to do that,” he added. “Whether we come in with sharp elbows and take it over, that’s not necessarily the right thing to do for her or for anybody, but making sure that it’s done right and making sure that this investigation is being conducted the way that it should be is something that we’re doing.”
NBC/GettyBlanche isn’t the only federal officer that has expressed his sympathies toward the situation. U.S President Donald Trump also said that he’s willing to offer any assistance to Savannah’s family so that they can understand what happened to her.
President Donald Trump Offers Assistance to Savannah Guthrie’s Family
“I spoke with Savannah Guthrie, and let her know that I am directing ALL Federal Law Enforcement to be at the family’s, and Local Law Enforcement’s, complete disposal, IMMEDIATELY,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post in February 2026.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department (PCSD) has been investigating Nancy’s disappearance since February. She was last seen near her home on Jan. 31 after her family dropped her off. Then, on Feb. 1, her family reported her missing when she missed a church service.
Savannah Guthrie Begs for Help
Since then, multiple ransom notes have been sent to the family. On Aug. 1, Savannah revealed how she and her loved ones are holding up after Nancy’s disappearance. The journalist said that they are “desperate” for answers and want “someone to come forward.”
“We are begging for help,” she said in an Instagram post. “…We are real people, facing real grief, doing the best we can, and counting our many blessings along the way – most especially the prayers and love from good people, which we feel deeply. We need your prayers; we need your kindness. We need the good to be stronger than the evil.”
“We will never stop looking for answers — and we will never stop looking for the light. We will always be hoping and praying and believing in the best of our world — in spite of circumstance. This is what our faith makes possible,” Savannah continued. “Please. Bring her home. 💛.”



