Chris Nanos Nancy Guthrie search
Getty

Sheriff Chris Nanos Issues Firm Statement Amid Ongoing Search for Nancy Guthrie

Tucson, Arizona, is still holding out hope for a positive outcome after a beloved member of the community, 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, went missing. As the search enters its second week, the FBI and the Pima County Sheriff’s Department continue working around the clock.

Sheriff Chris Nanos has made a firm promise that the investigation will not slow down.


Sheriff Chris Nanos Vows ‘We Won’t Quit’

Pima County Sheriff, Chris Nanos speaks to the media on February 3, 2026 in Tucson, Arizona.Getty
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos speaks to the media on February 3, 2026, in Tucson, Arizona.

In an interview with The New York Times on Friday, Nanos said authorities remain fully committed to finding the missing mother of “Today” co-anchor Savannah Guthrie.

“Maybe it’s an hour from now,” Nanos said. “Maybe it’s weeks or months or years from now. But we won’t quit. We’re going to find Nancy. We’re going to find this guy.”


‘It’s Exhausting’: The Emotional Toll of the Investigation

Nanos did not hide the emotional weight of the investigation.

Earlier this week, investigators believed they were on the verge of a breakthrough after detaining a delivery driver whose description matched the masked man captured outside Nancy’s Tucson home.

For a moment, it felt close. But the lead unraveled, and the individual was released.

“This has to be it, the evidence, everything’s there,” Nanos said. “Then you talk to people, you learn, you do your search, and you think, ‘Maybe not.’”

“It’s exhausting, these ups and downs,” he added. “But we will keep moving forward.”


DNA and Gloves Remain Under Review

Authorities recently confirmed that DNA recovered from Nancy’s home did not belong to her or anyone “in close contact” with her, adding another layer of uncertainty to the investigation.

Investigators are also examining gloves discovered roughly two miles from the residence. The gloves appear similar to those worn by the masked individual captured on doorbell surveillance footage. Nanos said he has “no way” of knowing whether the items are connected to the crime.

Nancy Guthrie searchGetty
Nancy Guthrie search

Nearly 400 people are now working the case. Despite the challenges, Nanos said investigators are still “looking hard.”


FBI Doubles Reward as Search Continues

Nancy was last seen on January 31 at her Tucson home. A trail of blood found inside the residence the following day led investigators to believe she had been abducted.

Nancy Guthrie Tucson home searchNBCUniversal
Nancy Guthrie Tucson home search

Since her disappearance, multiple ransom notes have surfaced. Federal officials describe the suspect as a man between 5 feet 9 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall, of average build. The FBI has doubled the reward to $100,000 for information that leads to Nancy’s whereabouts or the identification of her captor.

As the search presses on, Nanos remains steadfast. “We’re going to find Nancy,” he said. The Guthrie family and the Tucson community continue to hold on to hope.

1 Comment

1 thought on “Sheriff Chris Nanos Issues Firm Statement Amid Ongoing Search for Nancy Guthrie”

  1. Nanos should step away from the case and let the FBI take the lead.
    Nanos does not have the knowledge or the technology that the FBI has to deal with this case.
    I feel he is to self centered and lied about the glove he found and did not call for help from the FBI in the very beginning!
    This is my opinion and frankly I don’t care if you don’t like it.

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Stay in the loop, subscribe to our

Newsletter