Last week, on the November 5 episode of “Good Morning America,” it was announced that Tom Bergeron would be returning to “Dancing with the Stars” as a guest judge for episode 9 of Season 34, for the show’s 20th anniversary.
That episode of DWTS goes out tonight, Tuesday, November 11. And while Bergeron’s return has been welcomed by viewers of the show, it comes as something as a surprise, given that he was unceremoniously fired in 2020, ahead of its 29th season.
It’s left fans wondering precisely why he’s returned — and Tom Bergeron has answered that question unequivocally.
Tom Bergeron ‘Couldn’t Be Happier’ With Who Is Running DWTS
In a November 10 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Bergeron revealed that part of the reason he was fired from “Dancing with the Stars” was because he didn’t get on with the people running the show. Now, however, he thinks the current showrunners are great people, which is why he decided to return.
Bergeron admits that his firing angered him, and he elaborated about his relationship with the show’s then-showrunner. The 70-year-old said, “I’ll be honest with you. I did not like the showrunner. He knew that. I didn’t like being lied to, and he did that. So when he got fired, I think when Twitter was still a thing, I posted, ‘Karma is a b****.'”
But the ABC series’ original showrunner Conrad Green is now back. Green had previously departed the show after season 27, but returned for season 31.
Speaking about Green and his team, Bergeron said, “I couldn’t be happier that the people who are running the show now are running the show. But to be honest, the 20th anniversary, in other people’s hands, would not have lured me back.”
He went on, saying, “It was really because Conrad’s there, and you can tell. Just look at what the show is doing. It’s having a resurgence. It’s doing things that I can’t imagine many, if any, 20-year-old shows have done. They’ve been on a ratings tear.”
Moreover, Bergeron was very candid in stating that, had “the previous regime” still be been working on “Dancing with the Stars,” he would have outright declined the opportunity to return.
Bergeron Says It’s ‘Like He Never Left’ DWTS
Tom Bergeron has been posting on Instagram in recent days about his return to “Dancing with the Stars,” with one image of him posing alongside some of the show’s professionals accompanied by the caption, “Like I never left 🥰.”
One of the show’s professionals, Jenna Johnson, commented on the picture saying, “This feels right 😍.”
Fans are also expressing their excitement at seeing Bergeron back on the show, with one writing, “This makes me so happy – can’t wait to see you tomorrow ❤️❤️❤️.”
Tom Bergeron will return as a guest judge in tonight’s “20th Birthday Party” episode of “Dancing with the Stars.” It will air at 8/7c on ABC and Disney Plus.



